According to What's Going on in There and Einstein Never Used Flashcards, the very best toy for the development of a child's mind is wood blocks - no technology needed. But balancing the requirements of work, family and activities is tricky and thankfully there are great technologies that have emerged that let us focus on parenting - and hopefully give us more time to be with the kids.
My top ten favorite enabling technologies for parenting (see them all here in their screen shot glory):
- Teacher Emails - thank you so much.
- TiVo - control what they watch and eliminate exposure to advertising and violence until they are old enough to understand both.
- PurpleTie - laundry and dry cleaning picked up and delivered with online scheduling and billing.
- Online registration and schedulinging - www.pickatime.com makes parent-teacher conference planning a breeze.
- Diapers.com - discounted Pampers, Huggies and the works. Cheaper than Costco. Free shipping. Delivered to your house. Wish it started when I had my first child.
- iPhone - great device, innovative in-line distraction for kids.
- Online banking - bill pay, direct deposit + ATM = bank on my time
- Kayak.com, Expedia Fare Tracker and Yapta.com - find flights and competitive fares - moving a family ain't cheap.
- NetFlix and Portable Movie Players - movies in your mailbox. No late fees.